Carlow Rowing Club Trivia
- Carlow Rowing Club is one of the oldest rowing clubs in Ireland, with the first record of a regatta as early as 1859.
- In July 18th, 1860. Sir John Acton the M.P. for the Borough of Carlow presented a cup as a prize for the regatta (which was named after himself). The cup has since mysteriously disappeared and has never been recovered.
- In 1861, a prize fund of £34 and ten shillings was offered as prize money. This was a large amount of money at the time. So large infact that the regatta ran at a large loss and had to be abandoned. It was not held again until 1864 when they offered much less prize money and ran a reduced number of races.
- In 1868 the regatta took place at Cloydagh Pool, a few miles south of Carlow town. The list of prizes was impressive and included two cups called the Carlow Challenge and Acton Cup, two gold rings, a breast pin for scullers, and a silver paddle awarded to winners of a canoe race (a race was won by Mr. F. Barnes who was the first captain of the Carlow Rowing Club)
- In march 1869, rules were drawn up and the annual membership fee was fixed at one sovereign (21 shillings).The first reference to the annual procession of boats from the boathouse to the milestone was recorded this year, and the Carlow Rowing Club acquired their premises beside the River Barrow, the location they are at today.
- In 1884 recorded a membership of 95.
- In 1892 the Barrow Navigation Company introduced Bye Laws, which stated that rowing boats were liable to a “lockage charge of 1d per boat and 4d if propelled by steam or towed from the banks”. The club protested to the Board of Trade, claiming these bye laws interfered with long established rights. The Board of Trade found in favor of the club and the bye laws were disallowed.
- The clubs colors were originally blue and white.